Cape St. Claire VFC History
At a meeting held on March 25, 1955, residents of the Broadneck Peninsula gathered at the Cape St. Claire Clubhouse and voted to organize as the Cape St. Claire Volunteer Fire Association. By May of that same year, the "Association" had changed its name to The Cape St. Claire Volunteer Fire Company, Inc. (CSCVFC), and purchased a 1936 Chevrolet fire engine from the Ferndale Volunteer Fire Department at a cost of $1,800.00.
By May 1956, a piece of property along Hunt Club/Persimmon Point Road (now Cape St. Claire Road) was presented to the Fire Company by the Cape St. Claire Maintenance Corporation. The property was cleared by the members with help from their neighbors.
The Fire Company's Executive Committee served as the general contractors, and the company members served as the labor force (many of whom were local contractors). These contractors donated their professional skills and considerable materials to the station construction.
When the station was completed in February 1957, it consisted of three engine bays, an office, and a restroom. As the membership grew and activities increased, an addition was built across the back of the existing station in 1960. The addition included larger restrooms, a new office, and a meeting room. In 1962, when the Fire Company purchased a new Brush Unit and Pumper, two additional bays, a larger office, and storage space were added to the building.
Today, the station has five engine bays, a larger meeting/day room, a kitchen, two offices, one bunk room, a small day room for the career firefighters, restrooms, laundry room, and a large storage room. Membership has been growing steadily, and as such, CSCVFC is again looking to add onto the building, or potentially build a new station.
CSCVFC is located within Cape St. Claire. The community we serve consists of approximately 64 square miles and a residential population of 25,000. This does not include the travelers along Maryland Route 50 or visitors to Sandy Point State Park during the summer months. Cape St. Claire is located about 5 miles west of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
We are supported by surrounding fire companies such as Arnold Volunteer Fire Company (Station 17), Jones Station Fire Department (Station 23), and West Annapolis Volunteer Fire Company (Station 40). Our mutual aid companies include Queen Anne's County Station 1 (Kent Island Volunteer Fire Department), Naval Academy Fire Department (housed on the Naval Station), and the Annapolis City Fire Department.
Cape St. Claire Volunteer Fire Company is a combination Fire Department consisting of over 50 volunteers, supplemented by four 24-hour shifts of 5 career personnel per shift (shift begins at 0700 hours). CSCVFC operates with both county owned and volunteer owned equipment to include two engines, a BLS unit, a chief's car, and utility vehicle.